Tuesday 25 October 2022

WSPC 22: Aftermath

So the intention wasn’t to leave the last post as something of a cliffhanger, but it turns out I didn’t really have the energy to do updates during the week. 

The first thing to say is that the week was a bit of a rollercoaster. There were some unpleasant lows I won’t speak more about, but they left me feeling greatly saddened and robbed me of both self-esteem and proper sleep during the week. That’s never ideal when you want to be at peak mental sharpness, to say the least.

But overall it was great to return to things after 3 long years away. The puzzle solving itself also had its ups and downs; that’s usually the case but this year I was well within my usual abilities. I do think the WPC in particular will go down as a classic vintage. The 3 years away has given the opportunity for a new generation of solvers and authors to break through, and it has been a real delight to meet some of them and start new friendships. And of course to meet dear old friends once again.

I’ll be doing some posts with the added benefit of hindsight when I’m back to London. These will probably focus more on the highs as I think it’s about time to put the aforementioned lows behind now. 

No comments:

Post a Comment

Contact Form

Name

Email *

Message *